Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

> Remco Blaakmeer writes:

> > It is probably illegal to use the fonts that come with Windows.
>
> Why? If you bought a Windows license, you bought a license for the
> Windows components, I think.

That sounds right to me....It is of course illegal to distribute the font
thatcome with windows, well...I havn't actually looked to see if the
windows fonts are available on any sort of "Free" licence...
but... What are the chances of Micro$oft using any sort of free licence for
anything?

> Not being legal to use Windows fonts in Linux would be like being
> illegal to buy Coke and using the jar to carry Oranje Juice...

I think a better analogy might be "You buy a coke bu tbecause of thelicence
agreement you have to drink the whole thing, you can't dump
half of it out even if you don't like its flavor"

> > To let the X server use the fonts, you can do:
>
> > $ xset fp+ tcp/localhost:7100

you can also edit /etc/XF86config and add the fontpath"unix:7100" (I think thats
it don't have the docs in front of me...
in any case it is in the xfstt docs from the tarball on sunsite)
NB: if you do this..and reboot your machine you MUST
run xfstt & ...if you do not have xfstt and you have this line in your
XF86Config file...then X will refuse to start and exit with an error
-Steve

> Thanks for the clues! I finally could see some nice fonts in
> Netscape...

it does make things look o much nicer :)-Steve
--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-