Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Paul Rightley wrote:

> I have installed xfstt, but it seems to be documentation-poor.
> I know nothing of fonts in X (or in Windows for that matter -
> I guess I am the prototypical luser).  Where would I get some
> TTF fonts and where would I put them to use them?  Are there
> fonts of this sort that follow the DFSG (which I would prefer)?

You can place the fonts in a subdirectory of /var/ttfonts . You can use
any name for that subdirectory. Where you get the fonts is another issue.
It is probably illegal to use the fonts that come with Windows. You could
get yourself a CD with a few hundred shareware/freeware fonts, but most of
these are very poorly licensed.

xfstt isn't yet automatically started at boot time. To start it manually,
do:

# xfstt &

... as root.

If you also run xfs, you'll have to put one of these font servers on
another port than the default (which is 7100). 'xfstt --help' and 'xfs
--help' are helpful here. But if you say you don't know anything about
fonts, you probably don't run xfs.

To let the X server use the fonts, you can do:

$ xset fp+ tcp/localhost:7100

... as any user that currently has access to the X server (i.e. you).
This only works if the X server is already running and must be done every
time the X server is restarted.

If you want the X server to automatically use the fonts, you can add this
line to the "Files" section in /etc/X11/XF86Config :

    FontPath   "tcp/localhost:7100"

If xfstt isn't running when X is started, the X server will not be able to
use the TTF fonts until you issue the xset command above.

I say again here, I don't know where GIMP gets its fonts. But if it gets
them from the X server, this is the way to get GIMP to use TTF fonts.

Also, note that xfstt is in an experimental state. It is not yet stable
and may crash or do things you don't expect now and then. But you could be
lucky and it may just work for you.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Remco