Unidentified subject!

Valerie CAYOL wrote:
  >I have been desperatly trying to install linux debian
  >on my pc. I am using a CD provided by the magazine dream,
  >and so far I have performed the basic installation.
  >Severall problems have appeared :
  >1- in the section of the configuration called Configure device driver I was
  >not able to find the internet card I am using.
  >This card is compatible Ne 2000, at irq = 11 and io = \0xFF80. But
                                                            ^^
That seems an unusual address.  Is this hardwired, or can you change the
card to use a different address?

  >specifying these values caused the installation to fail,
  >so I did not give any devide driver and of course the network connection
  >does not work. Does anyone know what I can do about that ?
  >2- I don't unsderstand how dpkg works and how to start it.
  >It is supposed to be simple so I really think I missed something. When
  >writing simply dpkg I get a simple help.

Typically: `dpkg -i <package>_<version>.deb'.  You can do other things, but
in your current state of knowledge it may not be advisable.

  >3- Instead of using dpkg, I tried to use dselect to install x11, and then I
  >was asked many questions I did not know the answer of : mouse devise,
  >monitor resolution and frequency,
  >etc ...

It is not dselect that does this but the package's own installation script.
Had you succeeded in using dpkg, you would have seen the same questions.
Underneath, dselect runs dpkg.

  >Is there a way to restart this installation ?

If xbase is not yet fully configured (from the packaging point of view):
`dpkg --configure xbase'.

If it is configured, the settings can be redone with /usr/sbin/xbase-configure.

The easiest way is to run XF86Setup, which is part of the package
xserver-vga16.

  >Is there a way to know what questions will be asked in advance
  >in order to avoid leaving blank answers ?
  >Can't all this be done automatically as it is the case for
  >windows, for instance ?

Unfortunately not.  The reason is that there is a vast range of hardware
that might be used and its manufacturers don't provide Linux drivers as
they do Windows ones.