Re: Debian Problem after compiling kernel

Vaibhav Goel wrote:

> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
> IPADDR=204.69.208.4
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=204.69.208.0
> BROADCAST=204.69.208.255
> GATEWAY=
> ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
> route add -net ${NETWORK}
> [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Well right off the top of my skull I'd say that your problem is the fact
that there is no gateway specified to ifconfig, so ifconfig is seeing you
try to pass "metric" as a value for 'gw' since GATEWAY is being left blank
and barfing.  Try putting your correct gateway in the GATEWAY= line and try
it again.