Debian Problem after compiling kernel

Hello;

I recently obtained and installed Debian 1.3.1 off the InfoMagic
CD.  It installs kernel 2.0.29.  I then downloaded and
compiled kernel ver 2.1.62 and 2.1.63 and upon booting
I get the following error:

SIOCADDRT: Invalid Arguement
SIOCADDRT: Invalid Arguement

After looking around for some time I determined, this
problem occurs when the bootup procedure is executing
the file /etc/init.d/network.

Basically, I believe its a problem related to the Ethernet card.
Its a generic 10baseT NE2000 card.  The card is recognized
fine on bootup and the module is compiled.  I see the
autoprobe coming back with the IRQ of the card.

Below is what my networks file looks like.  Can someone
help me target the problem?  When I boot with kernel 2.0.29
that was installed with Debian, things work just fine.  Am i
doing something wrong while compiling the kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Vaibhav Goel

#---------------begin /etc/network
#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=204.69.208.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=204.69.208.0
BROADCAST=204.69.208.255
GATEWAY=
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1