Re: XFree86 3.3 SVGA and S3 Virge/VX

 Will> Hi.  I'm using the XFree86 3.3 SVGA server with my diamond
 Will> 3D3000 video card with 4 megs of VRAM, and I can only "startx"
 Will> once.  That is, if I exit X, and type "startx" again on the
 Will> console, the screen goes black and the machine hangs.
 Will> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and the Vulcan Nerve Pinch have no effect
 Will> whatsoever and my only recourse is to press the reboot button
 Will> on the front of the machine.

 Will> Today I downloaded the XF86_SVGA 3.3.1 binary from
 Will> ftp.xfree86.org and installed it; the behavior is the same.
 Will> I've found, however, that if I keep *both* servers around and
 Will> switch back and forth between them (by renaming one to
 Will> something else and naming the one in use XF86_SVGA), I can
 Will> "startx" as many times as I please.

 Will> Any clues?

Why no reconfigure X?

RTFM. Something that worked with X 3.2 may not work with 3.3 or higher.

--