Re: Starting out...

Ms. Geek wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I've just finished the hardware part of building my very own PC Compatible
> (AMD K5-166, Amptron PM8600 motherboard, 32MB RAM, S3 Trio64+ 2MB video
> card, Creative Labs SoundBlaster Vibra16 audio, Hitachi 7730 IDE 4X CD-ROM,
> Quantum Bigfoot 4.3GB IDE HD, Teac 1.44MB HD, soon to be getting a Seagate
> [Conner] 800MB Tape Drive) and am tweaking Windows95 into submission.

Sounds very nice! I'm green.

> When I formatted for 95 I left 1.3GB unformatted for use by Debian Linux

Why did you piss away so much space on MicroBarf W$95?  You'd better
served
devoting it to Linux (I think Debians distribution was a terrific choice
that
you'll live to be pleased with, though).

> 1.3.1. I will be using Benedict Chong's excellent utility PowerBoot to make
> the system a dual-boot. I chose Debian at the behest of Chong and my
> longtime friend Phil Hansford. My CD comes from Workgroup Solutions (Linux
> Mall) but I will buy another direct from the Debian Organization to support
> their good work.
>
> Are there still any pitfalls to using Debian Linux with the K5 chip or any
> of the other hardware I mentioned above? Eventually I plan on upgrading to
> the K6 chip...I've heard some Linux horror stories about the K6 not
> working. Anyone on this list use PowerBoot to dual boot? I'm gonna need a
> *lotta support* from you folks, and I promise when I become a Linux guru I
> will help the newbies on this list.

While I don't have direct experience with either the K5 or the K6, I'm
sure someone
on the list has and will allay your fears.