X crashes when switching from VC

Hi all,

Occasionally when I switch from a VC back to X(alt-f7) and try and use
the mouse immediately X crashes and exits.  If I don't use the mouse
for a couple of seconds it does not crash.  I am running xdm but have
had it happen when just starting X using xinit.  I am running gpm on
the VC's.  The error message when it crashes is:

"Fatal server error:
 Cannot open mouse (Device or resource busy)

 xdm error (pid 226): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1"

Gpm is started with the distributed init.d/gpm script and my /etc/gpm.conf
file has the following lines in it.

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
type=ps2
append=""

The pointer section of XF86Config is:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout    100
EndSection

/dev/mouse is a soft link to /dev/psaux
0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Jan 11 16:54 mouse -> psaux

My graphics card is a Diamond Stealth 64 with a S3 Trio64 chip and 2M
Dram running in 8bit 1280x1024 mode(which by the way I can't even get
Win95 to do!).

I know that if I don't use the mouse right away it won't crash but I
don't think that should be the solution. Any helpful hints ideas on
what is going on?

Thanks,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering				   servis@ecn.purdue.edu