Re: pppd problem -- modem *not* disconnecting when connection lost.

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:47:13 -0700 (MST)
> From: Mike Blatchley <mikeb@maxtor.com>
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Rob Browning wrote:
> >
> > I've had a problem with my modem, ppp, and detecting disconnections
> > for quite some time now, and I have been completely unable to resolve
> > the problem.  I thought I'd bring it up now in case anyone had fresh
> > ideas.  Feel free to direct me to a more appropriate location if
> > warranted.
> >
> > Basically the problem is that I can run pppd to connect to my ISP with
> > no problems, but then pppd will never die, even if the connection to
> > the other machine is lost.  I can pick up the line and hear a dial
> > tone, but pppd will still think it's connected.  I assume it's some
> > kind of handshaking problem, but I could have sworn I had all that set
> > right.
> >

> I don't have my Hayes command set here at work, but my recollection is
> that you need to send an &C1 and &D2 command to the modem to tell it to
> monitor carrier detect and drop DTR when the connection is lost (or does
> the &D2 tell it to monitor DTR and hangup?  Well, something like that).  I
> see that you are using the &D2, but not &C1 (unless the modem already
> defaults to that).

DTR comes from the DTE (the computer), not the DCE (the modem). The DCE
analog to DTR is DSR. You may want to set the modem to drop DSR when
the carrier is lost. I don't know if this will fix/help the problem,
but I feel compelled to correct the above statement (disclaimer: this
is *not* a flame, just a bit of information, so don't flame me for
being "rude").

= Jens B. Jorgensen                   | Blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah.
= Citadel Investment Group, Inc.      | Blah blah blah blah, blah blah.
= jbj1@wfg.com                        |
= jbj1@midway.uchicago.edu            |