Re: FAQ: How to remove zombie process?

"PT" == Peter Tobias <tobias@server.et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

  PT> Craig Sanders wrote:
  >> cern-httpd is notorious for leaving zombies (at least on my system).  I
  >> got tired of killing and restarting by hand it all the time, so I made a
  >> /etc/cron.daily/httpd script which kills and restarts it every morning.
  >> At worst, all the zombies get automatically terminated at sunrise...an
  >> end to the night of the living dead :-)

  PT> Bernd Eckenfels reported this bug and also provided a fix for it:

  PT> --- WWW/All/linux/Makefile.include.org  Sun Oct 29 07:15:44 1995
  PT> +++ WWW/All/linux/Makefile.include      Sun Oct 29 07:16:32 1995
  PT> @@ -9,7 +9,7 @@

  PT> # -DLINUX_FSSTND makes the default log file /var/run/httpd-pid
  PT> #                rather than /tmp/httpd-pid
  PT> -CFLAGS = -O2 -DPOSIXWAIT -DLINUX_FSSTND
  PT> +CFLAGS = -DUTS2 -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -DPOSIXWAIT -DLINUX_FSSTND
  PT> LFLAGS = -s
  PT> CC = gcc

  PT> Recompiling cern-httpd with this patch applied solves this problem.
  PT> If you don't want to recompile it yourself you can also get the fixed
  PT> httpd binary from sc2.et-inf.fho-emden.de (/pub/debian/httpd.gz).

    A little grepping around tells me that `UTS2' something to do with
the cern-httpd zombies problem, but how can a general optimization
option like `omit-frame-pointer' be involved?

   Just curious.

   Bill

--
<bhogan@rahul.net> |- "5. Improve constantly and forever the system of
production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus