Re: Some Newbie Questions

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999, Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> ...and talking about EMails, can anyone give me any leads on the best way I
> ccan connect to the Net in Linux, surf the Net, send/receive EMails,
> participate in Chat programs etc. ?
>
> I'm experienced in W95, but I am only starting out in the world of Unix
> (...a whole new world), so if any responses could be in layman's terms I
> would be grateful :)

My personal preference is KDE. DEBs are at
http://snowcrash.tdyc.com/

This was my way of installing (as a relative newbie):

You need to modify /etc/apt/sources.list to include the line:

deb http://snowcrash.tdyc.com/debian slink rkrusty

go into dselect and select "update", then exit.

# dpkg --list kde*
to see them

Use
# apt-get install filename
and install kdesupport0g first, then kdebase, then every other package
starting with "kde".

Finally
# apt-get install kdm

Modify /etc/X11/window-managers
so that "/usr/bin/kde" is first in the list.

Reboot.

There's lots of other DEBs. Try
# dpkg --list k*
to see them.

Once you have KDE going, you will find it very Win95-like, and kppp is
the easiest way of all to setup for the Internet. You don't even need netscape,
as kfm the file manager is a good web browser, and kmail does email.

Regards,
Barry Kauler