Re: Some Newbie Questions

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 09:25:57AM +1000, Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> I am a Windows 95 user who has recently been introduced to the world of
> Linux (Debian (2.0, I think ??)). I have partitioned off about 1 GB of my
> hard drive to Linux, and the rest is DOS/W95.
>
> I am trying to work out ... is it possible to share files between the two
> operating systems (i.e. Linux and W95) ?
>
> Here is a practical example of what I mean.....I am trying to sell the
> concept of Linux to a friend of mine who only uses W95 at the moment.
> Suppose I wanted to create a screenshot (.BMP) from a session that I was
> running in WMaker or Afterstep....how would I get it across to W95 so that I
> could EMail the picture to him ??

You can use mount to mount a Win95 partition and then cp the file (or
email it to him from Linux).    See 'man mount'.

> (Is a BMP in Linux the same format as a BMP file in W95 ?)
>
> ...and talking about EMails, can anyone give me any leads on the best way I
> can connect to the Net in Linux, surf the Net, send/receive EMails,
> participate in Chat programs etc. ?

I'd suggest you install ppp and pppconfig (assuming you have a dial-up
ppp connection).  After you get it running, you may want to consider
diald (although ppp now supports dial-on-demand).

For surfing, try lynx (text-based) or one of the various
navigator/communicator versions available for Debian.

For email:  mutt, pine, communicator, several others.

There are several available irc programs, as well: ircii, bitchx, tkirc,
etc.

dselect is your friend here.

Bob