XF86Setup

May I rephrase a question I asked a day or two ago?  I'm running hamm with a
mach64 card and a screen whose specs match the super vga details in
XF86Setup.  I've configured things for 1024*768, 800*600 and 640*480.
Whichever of the modes (is that the right word?) I'm in, the screen size
stays at 1024*768.  If, for example, I'm in 640*480, my physical screen
displays 5/8 (okay, 25/64) of the available image, and I can pan around to
see the rest.  Is this what should happen?
  If so, is there another way to configure it so that the available image
just fills the visible screen and no more?
  If not, does anybody know what I might have done wrong?  Incidentally,
there is a noticeable (livable with, but perhaps indicative of error) chunk
of blank (black) on the left of the screen, although XF86Setup itself filled
the screen perfectly.
  My original reason for worrying about all this was that Java applets that
asked the local system for the screen size in order to draw things the right
size for the visible screen would get the wrong answer.
  I would appreciate any help you kind folks could give me.

David