Re: exim receives mail, but won't send it to smarthost

You are going to have to provide the reason the main is not delivered that
is either reported in /var/log/exim/mainlog or /var/log/exim/paniclog.
Most likely this is a result of people with dynamic dialup IP addresses
attempting to directly deliver their mail. Remote host notices that
reverse IP lookup and claimed hostname in HELO do not match so it rejects
your mail. If you are using an ISP and have a dynamic IP dialup account,
you should be using your ISP's mailhost for outbound mail.

In any case I can not offer you any help until you provide the error that
exim is reporting.

On Sun, 30 May 1999, David Karlin wrote:

> I'm getting the notices about the mail retries in my mailbox, but,
> unfortunately, I've deleted all of them.

Well, wait until you collect one and post it.

> /etc/exim.conf (before I edited it, I was able to send mail but not
> receive; now I can receive, but not send).

Try running eximconfig again and add localhost to your list of other
domains for which your host recieves mail for.

George Bonser

Welcome to Wit's End