exim receives mail, but won't send it to smarthost

Hello again,
Running exim on slink, and now that I've gotten exim to deliver local
mail and fetchmail to download mail from my smarthost, outgoing mail
is broken.  The system is _trying_ to deliver mail, but it never makes
it out of the queue. Two messages have been sitting in the queue for
more that 56 hours.

I'm getting the notices about the mail retries in my mailbox, but,
unfortunately, I've deleted all of them.

I've been through the manpages for exim and fetchmail, and my eyes are
blurry.  I'm pretty sure this happened as a result of editing
/etc/exim.conf (before I edited it, I was able to send mail but not
receive; now I can receive, but not send).

Since 'tis better to send than to receive' (paraphrase), I'd like to
get this figured out as soon as possible.

Anyone have any clues?  Thanks in advance....

--David