Re: java applets in X

Von: Khalid EZZARAOUI <ezak@cybercable.fr>

>moron wrote:
>
>> I've just installed the jdk and tried some applets that worked perfectly
>> well (from local files or across the Internet) with Netscape
>
>normally Netscape use it's own java runtime. So it's normal that it works.
>what happend when you type : java
>in a shell.

and then:

>excuse my previous mail..
>it's not the problem.
>what version of Netscape are you using ?

Sorry, I didn't explain quite clearly.  I've been working under win95, using
Netscape, IE and the jdk appletviewer to see what my things look like with
different browsers - and also with different screen resolutions.  I'm new to
Debian and got a lot of help from you people to get the jdk on to my Debian
partition in the first place.  I dont have anything here except the
appletviewer to run applets (and >java< for applications), so that's what
I'm using.  Non-awt applications seem to work okay on the normal text screen
(I haven't tested an application with awt components), and applets work fine
unless they have to refresh a large part of the screen frequently, when the
whole system comes to a standstill (more or less so depending on how much
screen redrawing is done.

What I was wondering was whether this might indicate something wrong with my
whole X configuration.  I have quite a small screen and my preferred
resolution is 800*600, but I also have it configured for 640*480 and
1024*768 (also with help from my friends out there!).  In 1024*768 it
(nearly) fills my screen and behaves in a way I'm used to.  In the lower
resolutions (and I'm getting out of my depth here, this is just how I
imagine it to be), it seems to create a virtual window which contains as
much information as the high-res mode would do, but you have to pan around
to see it all.  It works beautifully, but it creates the problem that an
applet that asks for the screen size in order to adapt its own drawing
always gets the answer 1024*768.  This is a different point from my original
question but both may arise from faulty configuration of X.  Any ideas?

TIA

David