Re: why is xdm ignoring the keyboard?

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 12:20:09AM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> A similar case has been discussed on the list some time ago. Something

I missed it in my search.

> like that happens when multiple programms fight about a virtual
> console. These may be getty, xdm, wdm, gdm or login.app.

I am using mingetty instead of getty and only have xdm installed.
> Also check in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers that you don't try to handle a vt
> that is used by getty (in /etc/inittab).

ah HA!!  That was it!  I had vt 1 through 7 config'ed in inittab and Xservers was config'ed to use vt7.
I moved it to use vt8.  It is working now as it should.  Thanks very much for the clue!!

As a side note, is there collection of these little tidbits of info that are common knowledge to
Debian old-timers, but known to the Debian (and/or Linux) newbies?  I don't mean the Debian FAQ, though
a section in the FAQ dealing with various config files would be useful.  Maybe it already exists? :-)

      bob ...thinking it's cool to be running xdm and X again :-)
--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz