Re: AIC7xxx not recognised

On Sunday 30 May, Roy Coates wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a real problem getting a custom kernel to recognise
> an Adaptec 2940UW-Pro (AIC7xxx) controller on bootup.
>
> The kernel (2.0.36) has been configured with only the AIC7xxx driver
> as an internal module - no other scsi drivers have been selected.
>
> On bootup it simply refuses to recognise the scsi card, causes a
> kernel panic (unable to mount root FS) and I'm back to the drawing
> board.

is your root file system on the SCSI disk? if so, you've probably got a
"chicken and egg" problem. if the module that tells the kernel how to
access the SCSI module is only accessible via the SCSI disk, how is it
supposed to load it?

try compiling support for the SCSI card into the kernel proper, and see
what happens.

I did the same thing myself once - rather embarrassing!

--
Graham