AIC7xxx not recognised

Hi, I'm having a real problem getting a custom kernel to recognise
an Adaptec 2940UW-Pro (AIC7xxx) controller on bootup.

The kernel (2.0.36) has been configured with only the AIC7xxx driver
as an internal module - no other scsi drivers have been selected.

On bootup it simply refuses to recognise the scsi card, causes a
kernel panic (unable to mount root FS) and I'm back to the drawing
board.

I've been building kernels (slackware & redhat) for some years now
but I'm a newbie to debian. Any help would be very much appreciated.
(I installed using the 'unoffical' AIC7xxx rescue disk kindly built

by Greg Norris) and _suspect_ the problem may be a need for an initrd
boot setup (?)  Help!

Thanks,

Roy Coates
roy@spang.org