Re: Getting Gnome themes respected when xhosting

Quoting Eric House (fixin@peak.org):
> Scenario: Machine 1 running Gnome with theme 1; machine 2 running Gnome
> with theme 2.  I run gtk/themes-aware application on machine 1 but
> displayed on machine 2 via xhosting.
>
> Expected result: application is rendered with theme 2 like all the other
> windows on the desktop.  This is the proper model as established by X.

No, only the window borders will look the same.

> Actual result: application shows up with theme 1 and so looks different
> from all the other apps on machine 2's display.  If I change themes on
> machine 1, the application's appearance on machine 2 changes.
>
> Is there anything I can do about this?

If you run an application remotely, the entire window is exported to
your machine including the theme used on the remote machine. If you want
your apps on machine 1 to look the same as those on machine 2, you need
to either:
 1) Install the same themes on both computers.
 2) or export your themes _and_ ~/.gtkrc on machine 2 via some kind of
    network file system.

At least, this is how believe it works.

--
Andreas Persenius