Getting Gnome themes respected when xhosting

Scenario: Machine 1 running Gnome with theme 1; machine 2 running Gnome
with theme 2.  I run gtk/themes-aware application on machine 1 but
displayed on machine 2 via xhosting.

Expected result: application is rendered with theme 2 like all the other
windows on the desktop.  This is the proper model as established by X.

Actual result: application shows up with theme 1 and so looks different
from all the other apps on machine 2's display.  If I change themes on
machine 1, the application's appearance on machine 2 changes.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Is this the right place to ask?

Thanks,

--Eric House

|            from the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org              |
|    "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux"    |