(1) Upgrade failure; (2) /usr/lib/man.conf

Hello.  I've installed Debian from a Debian 1.3 CD and partly upgraded to
2.1 by downloading with apt.  This is my first encounter with Debian.

(1) The upgrade failed because the ftp server hung up on a small number
of files.  They are represented in the partial directory.

How can I restart this process?  It seems that a server timeout is pretty
devastating in that there is no recovery and the upgrade aborts.  I got
messages like this:

> Get:22 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main libdb2 2.4.14-1 [192kb]
> Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/main libdb2 2.4.14-1
>   Error reading from server - read (104 Connection reset by peer)
> Get:23 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main m4 1.4-9 [105kb]

I tried to find out what "--fix-missing" did, and eventually
discovered that it's not very useful, i.e. it doesn't make another
attempt to download the missing files.  Is there any automated way
of doing that or do I have do download them one at a time?

When I attempt to complete the operation by running dselect install
with the existing settings it seems to want to download every file
again.  It just downloaded 35 MB, failing on a few small files.  How
can I get it to just finish the job rather than starting all over
again?

(2) One of the packages I installed was man-db which is supposed to supply
the man pager and presumably its configuration file, /usr/lib/man.conf.
But that file is missing (or is not installed), and running man dumps (I
assume) compressed data on the screen.  I can uncompress all the man
pages, or get a config file from somewhere else, but I guess dselect/apt
should be able to do this.

Cheers...