HELP!!!

Hi all,

First of all I am a newbie. Second I cleared my c: and wipped win and all files gone. Not to upset about that, I just want to get Debian working. I can log on as my superuser and user so I can access the program. I cannot seem to do much at the $. I run dselect with my root account but cannot find the packages.cd. I thought Debian had a graphical interface. What might I be doing or have done that is wrong? I get the error message /dev/hda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.

Thank you,

Kyle