cd burning with memorex 1622, audio tools

I just got a Memorex model cdr1622 cdrw drive.  I havn't actually tried
to burn any cd's yet, but I have so far rebuilt my kernel to use scsi
emulation as required by xcdroast.  Has anyone out there used this
model drive, and how has it worked out?  Anything I should know?

 I am reading the xcdroast documentation and it looks like I can rip
tracks from audio cd's and compose my own cd's with tracks taken from
several cd's burned in selected order (IE: make my own custom audio
cd's).  I also want to make mp3's from these tracks and  burn some cds
with these (so as to fit several audio cd's onto a single mp3 cd).

Also what software would work to record from old lp's onto .wav->mp3
and remove pop's and scratch noise?

Thanks for any ideas.
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!