Re: Q: multi-cd method.

Tony Schonfeld writes:
>On Sun, 9 May 1999 johnny@sasebo.com wrote:
>
>> Actually, you need to insert the second or last CD of your multi-cd
>> archive first if you have more than one cd.. I don't know why but from
>> the Debian Installation Manual that's the correct way to roll..

That's correct.

>here i've use apt-get -f dist-upgrade first , second i've use a multi-cd
>method but if i insert only CD #1 and try UPDATE with deselect the
>database seem not complete up-to-date , in second time after try UPDATE
>with CD #2 i've a complete packages list and Deselect can tell to me
>CD #1 or #2 for the correct need.

OK, you seem to have it correct now. The way the multi-cd method is set up
as follows:

    the Packages.cd file on CD#1 knows about packages on CD#1
    the Packages.cd file on CD#2 knows about packages on CD#1 and CD#2

and if you have the two source CDs and an optional CD#5 with non-free then

    the Packages.cd file on CD#5 knows about packages on CD#1, CD#2 and CD#5

So, whatever combination of CDs you have, you should run Update from
dselect with the _last binary CD_ of your set in your CD-ROM drive. There
should be a file called README.multicd on each of your CDs which says
this...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there