[OT] Low versus medium priced scanners

When comparing a cheap scanner (under $100) such as the Plustek 96xx
series with a medium price scanner such as the so-called business-class HP
5200c, I can't tell what claims are due to the scanner hardware itself, or
simply the bundled software. Obviously, the bundled software does a Linux
user little good.

The HP has color correction, snap-to colors for areas of what should be
solid color, recognizes black and white line art and vectorizes it for
smooth scaling, etc. This _sounds_ all like software features to me, and
I'm wondering if the hardware itself is much different.

...RickM...