2 network cards

I have two network cards (1 Intel etherexpress 16, 1 NE2000) in a debian
system. Both are detected on boot up and both are ifconfig'd. This system
will be used to connect my little LAN through IP masq to the Internet. For
various reasons, I am only able to have 1 IP, so that is why I am messing
around with all this. My problem is that I can not ping another machine on
my internal LAN from the linux box. The internal LAN is numbered
192.168.1.x (with the linux box being .1 and the one I am trying to ping
.3) eth0 is my "external" card and eth1 is the internal one. If I set up a
route for the internal lan (route add -net 192.168.1.0 eth1) I can ping
192.168.1.1 (itself), but get a "ping: sendto: Operation not permitted"
when trying to ping another machine on the internal lan. Any ideas? I have
tried pinging the linux box from the other machine (which runs Win98). I
get both activity lights going like they should on the hub and on a card
from each computer, so the connection is there. Thanks in advance.

Matt
matt@ccdweb.com
--
Any sufficiently advanced form of technology is indistinguishable from magic.