networksetup problems

We have the ethernet cards setup and responding, we think we have picked the
right addresses (class C), netmask, etc. However we think the routing is our
problem, they all know they're IP addresses but we still can't get the
machines to talk to one another. Do any of you know of a url which offers good
guidance on setting up route service. I should mention that the hub is
responding to pings etc. but the machines aren't sending the packets back.
While we have fair skills with Linux, our networking skills suck. If anyone
can point us in the right direction for info we need, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Ben
p.s. I should note that we have been reading the hell out all man/info.gz
docs, as well as how-to's.
--
Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones,
as the wind blows out candles and fans fires.