Re: NEW Samba + Printer woes

	Subject: NEW Samba + Printer woes
	Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 05:13:32PM +0000

Quoting Jose L Gomez Dans(j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk):
> Hi!
> 	I've finally installed samba + lprng on an ageing i386. I have two
> parallel ports, and a printer attached to each. I'm using debian hamm.
> This is /etc/printcap:
> #
> # Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
> # All rights reserved.
> #
> # Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
> # provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
> # to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
> # may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
> # software without specific prior written permission. This software
> # is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
> #
> #	@(#)etc.printcap	5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
> #
> # This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
> #
> lp|hplj4l|HP Laserjet 4L:\
> 	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj4:\
> 	:rm=143.167.116.166:\
> 	:rp=raw:\
> 	:lp=/dev/null:\              ??????
> 	:sh:
> 	:sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
> 	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\
> 	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Just a thought, there is no printer assigned in the above printcap,
you have lp=/dev/null??  And this works using smbclient?  Am I missing
something here??

lp|lj|lp|Brother HL-10V:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#60:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet2p-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Note the :lp=/dev/lp0 if for 2.2.x kernels. If you are using 2.0.x it
would be :lp=/dev/lp1

HTH