Re: 8 Newbie Questions

On 8 May 1999, Peter Makholm wrote:
> > 3) Why does debian say 'only the root can do that' when I type the line below:
> >   $ mount /dev/fd0 (or any other floppy drive)
> >  I can't cd /dev/fd0 nor can I figure out how to access it.
>
> Because only root may mount devices as default.
>
> Edit you /etc/fstab and put auto as an option in the line mentioning
> /dev/fd0.
>
> Please read "man fstab" first.

If you don't want to mount the drive for the entire session, you could
also just try the following:

su  (enter password when prompted)
mount /dev/fd0 /floppy   (replace /floppy with whatever directory u want)
exit

Or you could enter just "sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" if you use sudo.

The drawback of this is that you must be root to write the floppy.

> No. Almost any software you ever need exist as debian packages on
> www.debian.org.
>
> If you really really really need something that aint packaged for
> debian please say so. Probally others needs it as well.

Ummmm ... not true. I've come across a lot of software I'd like that isn't
in .deb packages anywhere - or the packages are poorly maintained, like
the KDE ones. Am I just not looking hard enough?

- Bill