Re: LILO

	Subject: LILO
	Date: Thu, May 06, 1999 at 08:36:00PM -0400

Quoting Rahsheen Porter(rahsheen@neuplanet.cx):
> I recently (this morning), had a power outtage. I started up my computer and
> LILO started going nuts. Not only did it just say LI, but the cursor was
> jumping all over the screen and the printer started to print. I used a rescue
> disk and ran LILO, then rebooted. Now it prints "01 " over and over. Then I
> realized I had the wrong root device set in the kernel image, so I fixed it.
> No dice. LILO wouldn't even work off of a floppy.
>
> This is an all linux system, potato, with kernel 2.2.3.
>
> Below is lilo.conf, all also had it where boot was /dev/hda.
>
> # Generated by liloconfig
>
> # Specifies the boot device
> boot=/dev/hda1

boot should be the drive not that partition, ie boot = /dev/hda

> # Specifies the device that should be mounted as root.
> # If the special name CURRENT is used, the root device is set to the
> # device on which the root file system is currently mounted. If the root
> # has been changed with  -r , the respective device is used. If the
> # variable ROOT is omitted, the root device setting contained in the
> # kernel image is used. It can be changed with the rdev program.
> root=/dev/hdd2

OK if the whole hdd2 partition is on cylinders < 1024

> # Enables map compaction:
> # Tries to merge read requests for adjacent sectors into a single
> # read request. This drastically reduces load time and keeps the map
> # smaller. Using COMPACT is especially recommended when booting from a
> # floppy disk.
> #compact
>
> # Install the specified file as the new boot sector.
> # If INSTALL is omitted, /boot/boot.b is used as the default.
> install=/boot/boot.b

  ?? I have never used the install= so don't know about this one.

> # Specifies the number of _tenths_ of a second LILO should
> # wait before booting the first image.  LILO
> # doesn't wait if DELAY is omitted or if DELAY is set to zero.
> delay=3
>
> # Specifies the location of the map file. If MAP is
> # omitted, a file /boot/map is used.
>
> map=/boot/map
>
> # Specifies the VGA text mode that should be selected when
> # booting. The following values are recognized (case is ignored):
> #   NORMAL  select normal 80x25 text mode.
> #   EXTENDED  select 80x50 text mode. The word EXTENDED can be
> #     abbreviated to EXT.
> #   ASK  stop and ask for user input (at boot time).
> #   <number>  use the corresponding text mode. A list of available modes
> #     can be obtained by booting with  vga=ask  and pressing [Enter].
> vga=ext
>
> image=/vmlinuz
> 	label=Linux
> 	read-only
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
> 	label=OldLinux
> 	read-only
>
> # If you have another OS on this machine (say DOS),
> # you can boot if by uncommenting the following lines
> # (Of course, change /dev/hda2 to wherever your DOS partition is.)

Here is sample of mine

# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda                         # Device containing boot
sector
compact                                 # faster, but won't work on
all systems.
prompt                                          # Force boot prompt
map = /boot/map                         # Default       = /boot/map
Default = Slink2.2.6            		# Default  = /boot/boot.<number>
Timeout = 250                           # Wait <val>/10 sec. after
										# boot default
# End LILO global section

#  Slackware 3.3
# Share 5.1 Gig IDE Drive with Win95 (ugh)
#
Image = /vmlinuz
        root    = /dev/hda3
        label   = slack33
        VGA     = 0xb
        append  = "lp=0x378,0 boot_verbose=1"

#Debian
Image    = /boot/hamm-36
  label  = hamm-36
  Root   = /dev/hdb1
  VGA    = 0xb
  append = "lp=0x378,0"

#       Debian 2.1
#
Image    = /boot/Slink-2.2.6
  label  = Slink2.2.6
  Root   = /dev/hdb2
  VGA    = 0x317
  append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"

#       Debian 2.1-1
#
Image   = /boot/potato
        label   = Potato
        Root    = /dev/hdb10
        VGA             = 0xa

# End Lilo config

HTH

--
"I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them."
                -- Isaac Asimov