playing music with scsi emulation

Hello everyone, I just noticed a problem playing audio cd's on my cdrom.
I have two hardrives on the primary interface. I have an hp7200i cdrw on
the secondary master and a liteon 32x cdrom. I have kernel version 2.2.7
compiled and installed from source. I have configured and compiled
(successfully) 2.2.7 to include scsi emulation and scsi cdrom support. I
have taken out support for ide/atapi support.

 The error I get when I use cdplay is:

sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind

The lines in kern.log are:

May  6 09:34:13 experimental kernel: sr1: CDROM not ready yet.
May  6 09:34:15 experimental kernel: sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL
REQUEST.
May  6 09:34:27 experimental kernel: sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL
REQUEST.
May  6 09:40:46 experimental kernel: sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL
REQUEST.

The weird thing is that I can read from the drive find the contents of the
audio cd's. I can also mount and read data cd's that are msdos and other
formats. I hope this gives you enough information to  give me some ideas
on the problem.
Paul