Re: posgresql postmaster would not start

Johann Spies wrote:
  >On Wed, 5 May 1999, Khalid EZZARAOUI wrote:
  >
  >> hey,
  >>
  >> do you delete the file : /tmp/.s.PGSQL.<portnr>
  >> like says your error message
  >>
  >> after what if it doesn't work do as root :
  >>
  >> /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
  >> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
  >
  >Thanks Khalid.  I did look in the /tmp directory but forgot that with
  >normal ls or dir I would not see the .s.PGSQL-file.  Now it is working
  >again.

Are you running an edited version of /etc/init.d/postgresql?

The distributed version (6.3.2-10 onwards) contains these lines:

   # Make sure there is no UNIX-socket file lurking around; this socket
   # can get left behind if there is a system crash.

   if [ -S /tmp/.s.PGSQL.${PGPORT} ]
   then
      rm /tmp/.s.PGSQL.${PGPORT}
   fi

I am surprised that you should have had this problem.  If your init file does
contain those lines, there is a bug, though I'm not sure what is causing it.

Oliver
Debian PostgreSQL maintainer

     "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do
      what is right in the eyes of all men."
                            Romans 12:17