Re: Cobalt Qube

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 10:22:21PM -0400, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, G. Crimp wrote:
>
> > 	I'm also wondering about mixing architechtures.  This guy wants to
> > sit in front of a quiet diskless box at his desk (not entirely solved yet)
>
> Why not just keep the existing Sun box and just use it as X-terminal. You
> can either keep Solaris or install Linux on it.
>
> > that runs all apps across the net from another box (the Qube, maybe) sitting
> > in another room.
>
> You'd probably want something more powerful here.
>
> > If you have a ix86 diskless box on the desk, is it going
> > to be able to run apps served from a RISC port of Linux ?
>
> What you mean "served" ? You can run applications on RISC and display them
> on your local worstation. Any architecture.

	I guess I am not too sure of what the various networking
possibilities are, nor how they work.  He currently runs a diskless box.  I
suggested he could just buy a used x-terminal and put the Linux box in
another room.  That's when I found out he was running a diskless sparc
booting off the network.  He pointed out it had it's own RAM and cpu.  From
that and my own brief reading of diskless boots over a network, that the
local work station does more than just act as a display.  Rather than having
many users sharing cpu cycles on the central box, everyone, including the
diskless ones just got the apps remotely and did the actual processing on
their own cpu using their own memory.  So by "served", I guess I meant
getting the code off the remote disk, but running it locally.  Gee, I guess
that means that swap must me done over the net as well.  Doesn't sound good.

Maybe I need some straightening out on the basic concepts involved here.

Gerald