secure Xterminal scheme?

Hi,

I am hoping to set up some low end pc's running debian where
we use them as xterminals.  That is, we do:

         X -query <some xdm host>

It works well and allows running an 8-bit color display off
of a sun host while keeping a 16-bit color display on the
local linux host.  In this case we want to replace some
old ncd xterms and sun ipcs with faster video but still
make it look like we are running solaris for a while.

But the X stuff going over the network is not encrypted.
(Nor was it on the old machines, it is just desirable.)

Does anyone know a way to achieve the same result but with
some form of encryption.  The ssh docs talk about assigning
arbitrary port connections etc., but I can't think of a way
to run an entire xdm session though such a channel.  I have
searched around in all the usual places (howto's, faq's, X
web sites) but can't find any mention of such a scheme.

thanks,
Stuart