backspace not working and ansi

hello people :) i recently got into debian linux, and i have two question.
if you, people, could answer them, i would be pleased >:)

1 - ansi does not work in console.

do you guys know a program called bashprompt? if so, you can help me. the ansi
that this program uses to put in bash prompt (bash#) appears like:

AAAA[root@strm]AAAA (got it?)

and then i have to run BitchX to get ansi working... :/

is there a way to make the ansi work without running bitchx? sorry for my very
poor english ;/

2 - backspace in X

this is a very well-known question, but i run xmodmap with the right sintaxe,
and it still doesn't work.

ah! i run debian 2.1

thanks for helping me,

rm-r [(pedrob@fnn.net)]