HELP: Lost /usr!

    This evening the partition that /usr was mounted on completely killed
itself.  After about 3 hours of disaster recovery I've gotten my server
limping along.  Here is the problem I am facing.  dpkg, dselect and apt all
do not appear to have any way to force the reinstall of all currently
installed packages.  This means I am going to have to go through and either
uninstall and reinstall them all in turn so that apt will ignore the fact my
database says I have them installed, or I get to download each package
manually and install them with dpkg.  Neither option is something I relish.

    Is there a better way to do this to get my system back to the point
where it was before this fubar?

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
                                       | employer's.  They hired me for my
             ICQ: 5107343              | skills and labor, not my opinions!