Re: mgetty conflicts with pppd

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 01:07:53PM +0200, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 May 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Is there a workaround? It's most annoying and has been bugging me for a while.
> >
> > Are you sure you use the same device file name for both mgetty and pppd ?
> > I mean /dev/ttyS1 for both... then they should do the locking correctly...
>
> Well, mgetty shouldn't lock the port while waiting for a connection,
> but should give up the port when a dialout connection is made.

More precisely mgetty should lock the file while initializing the modem,
then release the lock and when it sees that something is happening on he
port, it should check if someone has locked it...

> inittab says
>
> s1:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1
>
> /etc/mgetty/mgetty.config has a "port ttyS1" section.
> /etc/ppp/peers/isp says /dev/ttyS1 too (configured with pppconfig).

Hmm... do you have an option "lock" to pppd ? it should be in peers/isp or
in the options file. You should also check what mgetty says about locking
in its own logfile.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/