Re: Installing Sound Card

Thanks everyone for the help!  I may get this working yet! :)

I tried the pnpdump -c >/tmp/foo and got the following message:

Port address -c (0x0000) out of range 0x203..0x3ff

I did a standard pnpdump >/tmp/foo and the output is listed below.  In
reading the docs on pnpdump, I need to edit this file.  Where should I
start?

Also, if I want to move to the 2.2.1 kernel, what will I need to do?  Is
it as simple as using dselect to get a pre-compilied kernel, or will I
need to remove a bunch of stuff and load new version?  So far, I made if
from BO -> HAMM without to much trouble.  What would this change entail?

#### PNPDUMP OUTPUT attached as file "foo"

M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way to get the card setting without going to
> > windows...  My system doesn't have windows on it at all.  I installed linux directly
> > onto it.  Its kind of MS free... As much as I could make it.
>
> Gain 100karma points! :) I am also pure in this regard ;), so I've had to
> figure out getting these settings without DOS:
>
> You want isapnptools (section base) (and possibly pciutils (section
> admin)). As root, run
>
> pnpdump -c >> foo
>
> look at foo; this should contain all the settings you want. If it is a PCI
> card and the above doesn't work, then try
>
> lspci -vv >>bar
>
> In either case, having set up the kernel OK, you'll want to move foo to
> /etc/isapnp.conf; this will run the script you created earlier at boot-up
> (and initialise the card to those settings).
>
> It's also worth looking at Documentation/sound in your linux source tree,
> and using the latest kernel (2.2.1)
>
> HTH,
>
> Matthew
>
> p.s a few notes on recompiling your kernel. I prefer menuconfig to xconfig
> (YYMV though). Either way, go through all the options systematically, and
> read the relevant help screens; generally try not to include too much, and
> consider having things as modules (I particularly recommend sound in this
> regard)....
>
> --
> Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
>
> Steward of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
> Selwyn College Computer Support
> http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
> http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/
> Debian GNU/Hurd - love at first byte
# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.1.1.2 1998/01/07 05:17:47 fred Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DNEEDNANOSLEEP
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Trying port address 020b
# Board 1 has serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x020b)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d)
# Vendor Id CMI0001, Serial Number 16777472, checksum 0x8D.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->CMI8330 Audio Adapter<--
#
# Logical device id @@@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 0

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 0 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0388
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 0 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 7, 9, 10 or 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 0 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0e80
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0f40
#             IO base alignment 192 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0e80))
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#     End dependent functions
# (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id @H@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 1

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0330
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0330))
#       IRQ 9.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 9 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0300))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.

# Logical device id @P@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 2

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0200
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0fe0
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes

# Logical device id @X@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 3

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0220
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 5.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0240
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 5 or 7.
#             16 bit DMA only
[...]

# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)