Re: Installing Sound Card

> Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way to get the card setting without going to
> windows...  My system doesn't have windows on it at all.  I installed linux directly
> onto it.  Its kind of MS free... As much as I could make it.

Gain 100karma points! :) I am also pure in this regard ;), so I've had to
figure out getting these settings without DOS:

You want isapnptools (section base) (and possibly pciutils (section
admin)). As root, run

pnpdump -c >> foo

look at foo; this should contain all the settings you want. If it is a PCI
card and the above doesn't work, then try

lspci -vv >>bar

In either case, having set up the kernel OK, you'll want to move foo to
/etc/isapnp.conf; this will run the script you created earlier at boot-up
(and initialise the card to those settings).

It's also worth looking at Documentation/sound in your linux source tree,
and using the latest kernel (2.2.1)

HTH,

Matthew

p.s a few notes on recompiling your kernel. I prefer menuconfig to xconfig
(YYMV though). Either way, go through all the options systematically, and
read the relevant help screens; generally try not to include too much, and
consider having things as modules (I particularly recommend sound in this
regard)....

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support