Re: root disk

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:58:25 EST, Pete wrote:
o, I figure, I'll make a root disk that my boot disk can load as a ram
> disk. Now, I realize I have no clue where I might find the various thing I
> may need to be part of this root disk. Is there anywhere I can find such a
> root disk, or is there some way I can "reverse engineer" the rescue.bin
> boot disk in order to extract from it the install utility?
>
> any help would be much appreciated...

Hi Pete,

Welcome to Debian.

What I've done on an experimental basis is to take the regular boot
disk (write the image to floppy), compile a new kernel with desired
options, and replace the kernel on the boot disk with the new one.  To
find out basically what options you need to compile into the
replacement kernel, read the README on the boot disk.

To see the features and ramdisk Makefile mods I used for a non-scsi
boot-disk, see:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9812/msg02015.html

Let me know if you have any questions.
--