root disk

Hi all,

After being a long-time loyal slackware user, I've decided that slackware
has become to buggy and antiquated. I've looked around and debian looks
like a good bet to me. Soo... here's where the problems begin:

I've a scsi controller (Initio INI-9100 UW) on my machine that isn't
supported by the 2.0 proper source tree. However, I found a patch for it,
and it has applied cleanly to every kernel source I've tried it on (2.0.32
- 2.0.36) I've even made a boot disk with a kernel that supports this
controller.
Now, the problem I'm having, is that since this kernel patch seems to
never have made its way into the kernel source tree proper, I can't find a
debian boot disk that'll recognize my controller.

So, I figure, I'll make a root disk that my boot disk can load as a ram
disk. Now, I realize I have no clue where I might find the various thing I
may need to be part of this root disk. Is there anywhere I can find such a
root disk, or is there some way I can "reverse engineer" the rescue.bin
boot disk in order to extract from it the install utility?

any help would be much appreciated...

-Pete Rijks
 http://www.nd.edu/~prijks                                  \|/
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering                   -*-
University of Notre Dame (Class of 2000)                    /|\