Ensoniq ES1370 configuration

I have recompiled my kernel (2.2.1) with the es1370.o module and its
associated soundlow.o, soundcore.o and sound.o modules.  Also loaded
OLP2/3 stuff and mpu401.  All this stuff loads just fine at boot but I
still get no /dev/dsp /dev/sndstat devices at all.  Is there something
missing?  My system is a Gateway G6-266 and unfortunately Gatweay saw
fit at that time to ship an oddball, off-board IDE controller and this
oddball soundcard.  Both have given me fits with Linux.  Got the IDE
controller under wraps, finally, but this sound card is throwing me for
a loop.