Re: slashdot poll

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Richard Lyon wrote:
>> What do people like about RH? Is it worth trying to nick parts of their
>> install? I found it a pain - It wouldn't let me just install individual
>> packages, though I wonder whether some of the modconf stuff could be left
>> out for the initial install.....
>>

>Maybe people like the RH install because they are familar with a Microsoft GUI
>install. They perceive that a GUI install screen must be superior to a text
>screen.

This is quite true.  RH was my first distro and I found the install screens a
lot more confortable.  Unfortunately, gui install screens doesn't mean a better installation.
With RH you will install packages you'll never use or even ever know you have.
Plus a lot of them are broken.  Doesn't RH test their packages?

It's better to start at the base and work your way up.  Don't change debian.  I
like it's installation just the way it is.   My debian box is just as
functional when I installed all the software I normally use when I had RH5.2 and
it's way way smaller.  100s of megs in fact.

I wonder what the hell I had that filled all that space?
hmmm.....

John