Re: OT: Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:11:10AM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > It's a long time since I took my car test, and I had no problems with
> > the emergency stop, but the examiner's instructions were "...without
> > locking the wheels", so I'd guess any kind of lock would be a fail.
> > Dunno what they do now that ABS is common.
>
> Does sound like your driving tests are much better than ours.  I still
> don't understand how anyone can actually _fail_ one over here, but people
> occasionally do.

Probably to do with the crowded conditions on UK roads... with
something like a quarter of the US's population crammed into the area
of one of the smaller states, most people of an age to drive a car own
one, and an increasing tendency to use the car for any journey at all
no matter how short, the test needs to be tough. And there are still
plenty of dickheads on the roads... I think it was Bill Bryson who
wrote that "Most American drivers are crap, and they know it; most
British drivers are crap, but they don't know it".

> > To be expected. Most ABSes cut out at very low speeds.
>
> The Chevy Cavaliers of around 2001-2002 were the other way, and hyper
> sensitive.  I've seen the ABS come on at 5kph at the end of a stop,
> completely removing any braking power, causing you to not be able to stop
> in time.  And those can't be disabled, unlike most cars with traction
> control.  I'd consider it a safety hazard.

So would I... that's the problem for which having the ABS cut out at
low speeds was the workaround. I'm surprised it was still going on as
late as 2001-2002.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons