Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On 2004-02-24, Micha Feigin penned:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:29:39PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> What I never understood is locally they tell bicyclists that you stop
>> faster locking the brakes and everybody else to absolutely avoid
>> doing
>
> Its actually wrong also for bicycles. If you skid it takes a much
> longer time to stop.  Another thing a lot of casual cyclists don't
> know is that you actually should stop mostly with the front brake
> (which is much much more effective).  You just need to make sure to
> hold yourself in place with your hands not to go over the handlebar.
> You do that and you won't flip.

Maybe you should take that opinion to alt.mountain-bike.  When you have
a good bike with strong brakes, you won't just throw yourself over the
handlebars; you'll flip the whole damn bike, especially when you're
going downhill.  The recommended route is to use both brakes at the same
time with as light a touch as possible.  (After riding my MB for a few
months, I visited my parents and took a spin on mom's bike (my old
bike).  I told dad that the brakes needed to be fixed, and he told me
that, for a "normal" bike, they were actually great. I've just been
spoiled by a comparatively expensive bike.)

That being said, skidding is a bad idea while mountain biking for two
reasons: one, you're out of control, and two, you're trashing the trail.

--
monique