Re: sig dashes munged at master.d.o or Mutt issue?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:35:48PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
| On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 06:01:38AM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
| >
| > My mutt displays the trailing spaces OK: Linux vt, xterm, uxterm, Eterm.
| >
| > It looks like an ill-devised optimization in the screen-writing code.
| > AFAICT, the mutt people like such things.  There probably isn't a
| > variable to control this.
|
| I remember way back when, when I still thought transparent *terms were
| cool, that running Mutt did strange things in one.  Like it would paint
| parts of the window, and you could see the root pixmap through them, and
| other parts not.

This is a problem with your color config in mutt.  If you set the
background to "black" (or "white") then the background will be solid
and the root pixmap won't show through.  However, if you set it to
"default" then mutt doesn't tell the term what color to use and the
root pixmap will show.  Note that if the terminal supposedly (as
listed in terminfo) supports erasing with the background color, then
the ncurses application will not draw all characters on the terminal
but rather assumes that the term fills in the background correctly.
If the terminal doesn't really do that (ie putty with a certain option
not set) then those curses apps look a bit odd.

| And it did trailing spaces then.  I distinctly remember that because I
| thought it was really odd.

FWIW, mutt 1.5.5.1-20040112+1 here doesn't do anything funny with
trailing spaces and vim (my choice of pager) can display them if I
tell it to.

-D

--
The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.