Xwindows in Sid

I've been running Sid for the past year or more, and
have waded through a few nasty instabilities. Unstable
is aptly named.
However, I have hit a serious snag. I did the usual
weekly or so update, and the Xwindows libraries were,
ah, "fixed" after a dist-upgrade to correct for the
file overlaps. However, X no longer works.
If anyone has a way through the morass without wiping
and reinstalling, I would love to hear about it. If
there is a pointer to this already solved, I'd be
grateful for that as well. Lynx has its limitations as
a browser, and it's all I have to work with now.
Curt-