Re: GCC

    Dave> Actually, gcc 2.95 does support quite a bit of the standard. It
    Dave> definitely supports namespaces, <iostream> and a majority of the
    Dave> STL. You're probably thinking of the previous version (2.2?). The
    Dave> timeline was

    Dave> gcc 2.2 -> egcs -> gcc 2.95 -> gcc 3

    Dave> egcs was what drove gcc into C++ standards compliance; I can
    Dave> remember switching from gcc to egcs when doing a project that
    Dave> needed good STL.  This was in the fall of '98 if I recall, and gcc
    Dave> at that time was not good enough, but it was not 2.95.

g++ in GCC 2.95 deviates so much from standard C++ that I decline to say it
approximates the standard.  Things as simple as the hex or fixed
manipulators are not implemented.  Trying to define any rdbuf for its
iostream and you'll see it is a nightmare.  So sad that the acm.uva.es judge
(which is one of the primary reason that I write C++) is still using that
particular version. :(

Regards,
Isaac.