Re: GCC

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:53:47PM +0100, John L Fjellstad wrote:

> GCC 2.95 wasn't C++ compliant at all (didn't it get released before
> 1998?)

Actually, gcc 2.95 does support quite a bit of the standard. It definitely
supports namespaces, <iostream> and a majority of the STL. You're probably
thinking of the previous version (2.2?). The timeline was

 gcc 2.2 -> egcs -> gcc 2.95 -> gcc 3

egcs was what drove gcc into C++ standards compliance; I can remember
switching from gcc to egcs when doing a project that needed good STL.
This was in the fall of '98 if I recall, and gcc at that time was not
good enough, but it was not 2.95.

Regards,

--
Dave Carrigan